Our Airstream came with Midnight Sun fabric. It's actually a lot better than what I've seen in many trailers and RV's, but when it comes right down to it, I don't like thinking about others people's bodies lying all over what are now our cushions. I'm pretty sure I can blame my mom for that one. I knew before even stepping inside that I'd want to change the cushion fabric. Thank goodness The Utility Man knew too; he brought it up before I had to. I'm not sure about other models and years but ours not only has the cushions covered in fabric, but the entire base of the couch and dinette as well. I had no idea what I would find once I removed that fabric, so one night I unscrewed one of the cabinet doors and started cutting off the fabric. (Insert eye roll from The Utility Man here.) I discovered that underneath was white melamine that was in excellent condition. There were a lot of staples on the backside that had to be removed with a combination of a small screwdriver and needle nosed pliers. When I say a lot, I mean a lot! I could not figure out a way to remove the handles on the front so I took a sharp utility knife as close as I could around the edges of the handle in order to cut the fabric away. It worked pretty well. There were a few stationary melamine pieces that were a little harder to work around, but with patience (more needle nosed pliers, screwdrivers and scissors), I was able to get all of the fabric off.
Because the edges of the melamine pieces are rough and unfinished, I bought veneer edging that I applied around the edges to create a finished look. To apply the veneer, I cut it the length I needed, ironed it on per the package instructions, and then used a utility knife to shave off any overhang. I had never done anything like that before and it was pretty simple. I was hoping not to have to recover them in fabric, but to paint them instead. And to my delight, that was definitely an option. So, if you've been wondering what it looks like under there, now you know. To see our painting process, you can find the blog post "Painting the "Faux" Wood in our Airstream."